Helpful information for work and study

Catering and Facilities at SJH

There are a number of places to find some food and drink while at work.

Dining Room (2nd floor)

Available all week for hot food during the following times: Breakfast: 7.30 am-11.00am, Lunch: 12.00-2pm and Dinner: 5pm-7pm. The Dining Room is open all day for cold food, cakes/snacks and hot/cold drinks. Vending machines are also available in the coffee lounge.

Howden Cafe

Ground floor (near main entrance): Monday to Friday: 9am–7.45pm, Saturday & Sunday: 10.30am–5.15pm

WH Smith

Located on the ground floor opposite the Howden Cafe. Opening hours Monday to Friday 7am to 8pm. Saturday and Sunday 9am to 7pm.

Doctor's Mess

Located on the first floor behind the Paul Taylor Theatre, just before the Simulation Suite. ID badge access required. Tea/coffee making facilities, microwaves and fridge, available 24/7. Seating area with fold down sofas. Limited locker availability for medical students: see Marion Wright, Admin Assistant

Changing and Shower Facilities

Located within the first floor staff changing facility, choice of scrub sizes available. Used scrubs to be placed in the alginate bags. Lockers also available - see Sewing Room between 8am and 12pm. Towels available for showers.
Students with University scrubs need to be self laundered

Secure Bike Parking

Secure facilities available as follows:
Car park D - maternity area - blue pods and caged area
Car park F - beside transport block - caged area
Car park P - beside Howden Health Centre - work in progress
NHS padlocks are available by calling ext 52087


Accommodation can be arranged in advance by contacting Wilma Baillie on 01506 522173. The residencies are equipped with laundry facilities payable by slot machines. A £30 deposit will be required on arrival for your key, which is refunded when you leave. Parking is available at the residencies for a £20 deposit (£10 returned). Any problems, please contact the residency supervisor. Please do not exchange your keys with anyone else without permission from the residency supervisor.