General Medicine RIE
Welcome to your five week placement in the Senior Medicine Module (General Internal Medicine and Medicine of the Elderly) at the Royal Infirmary Edinburgh and Midlothian Community Hospital.
During your time on placement you will have the following learning opportunities:
Clinical Sessions. e.g.
- Patient Clerking and examinations (new and reviews, acute and chronic conditions)
- ward rounds with various clinicians (e.g. ANP's or Drs)
- MDT's & Family Meetings Clinical Communication & Medical Ethical + Legal Discussions + Documenting these in clinical notes
- Patient and Family Counselling e.g. smoking cessation or options for nutritional support
- Other patient assessments and care planning - multi-morbidity / frailty / cognitive / mood / falls / medicine reconcilliation / discharge letters etc.
Clinical and Procedural Skills. e.g. venesection / peripheral venous cannulation / ECG's / urethral catheterisation / medication pre-prescribing project etc.
Teaching Sessions including 'teaching ward rounds' / tutorials etc. e.g.
- Intra-departmental teachings (regular) covering a range of topics Medical / MoE / - Stroke Medicine etc. via TEAMS with times specified during placement
- Grand rounds during academic year - usually Wed 12.30 - 13.30 via TEAMS
- other clinical tutorials as scheduled during posting; or guided by topics you'd like us to cover (i.e. we are happy to support student directed requests).
For the RIE site, your Base ward for the Senior Medicine module is Ward 104 (Acute Medicine of the Elderly)
For the MCH site, your base ward will be Edenview Ward at Midlothian Community Hospital
First Day Arrangements at RIE
On the first morning, you should report to the waiting area just outside ward 104, RIE (first floor level at 8.45am). You will be met by one of the consultants. You will be provided with a brief welcome (normally by Dr Sheila Coutts or Dr Yinka Ogundipe) and verbal induction/introduction to your placement. If there are any problems, you call telephone 0131 242 1045/1049 (Drs room in 104). A copy of your timetable and other necessary information will be emailed to you before your placement begins.
If you are unable to attend for your shift, please contact Drs Coutts and Ogundipe via email and also MBChB.firstname.lastname@example.org
If not already arranged by the University, please discuss with the MoE secretaries located between RIE wards 102 and 103 (Arlene Rowley 0131 242 6929). Photographic ID is required to enable ID badges to be issued
First Day Arrangements MCH
First timetable shift at MCH - please wait outside Edenview Ward at 08.45 to meet Dr Maggie Hammersley or another designated doctor. email@example.com
Main Contacts for Placement
Site Lead Tutor / Main Contact - Dr Sheila Coutts - Consultant Physician (MoE RIE) - firstname.lastname@example.org
Module Organiser for Senior Medicine (MBChB year 6) - Dr Yinka Ogundipe - Consultant Physician (MoE RIE & Liberton Hospital) - email@example.com
Locum Consultant Physician in MoE (MCH & Bonnyrigg) - Dr Maggie Hammersley - firstname.lastname@example.org
Arlene Rowley- Admin Assistant (RIE MoE) - Tel 0131 242 6929 email@example.com