Getting to our hospital
The Royal Infirmary is located on the Little France site in the East of the city. It is located on good bus routes and one of the main arterial roads out of the city. Car parking is limited.
- 7 – Newhaven
- 8 – Muirhouse
- 18 – Gyle Centre
- 21 – Gyle Centre (link to WGH)
- 24 – West Granton (link to WGH)
- 33 – Gorebridge
- 38 – Granton (link to WGH)
- 48- Fort Kinnaird
- 49 – Rosewell
- 49 – The Jewel
By Car- Updated April 2022
• Only staff with a permit can park on the campus site between 6.30am and 11.30am each weekday. Please see the forms at the bottom of this page and for further information refer to the Intranet.
• All staff have access to Car Park 2C from 11.30am each weekday and can park their vehicles if spaces are available.
• Staff are not permitted to park in other car parks across the campus, which are required for both patients and visitors. If spaces are not available within Car Park 2C, alternative parking such as the Park and Ride must be used. We encourage staff not to park in the roads surrounding the hospital as this can cause significant problems for the flow of traffic in these areas but also makes it very difficult for the people who live there.
• Departments should continue to notify the parking team of any staff who require carpark access in an emergency, or because they are travelling to the site for an urgent service requirement.
• Staff working nights or at the weekends can park on site regardless of whether they have a parking permit or not.
• The staff shuttlebus continues to operate between the Sheriffhall Park & Ride and the Little France campus, with the timetable being available on the staff intranet.
• There are car share permits allocated to wards and departments who have applied. Please speak to your ward/department directly in this regard.
Cycle to work
The main cycle focus is the cycle hub situated to the rear of the Chancellors Building. Please ensure you utilise an adequate high-quality lock when securing your bike.
To get access to the blue bike cages go to the Parking desk besides M&S, show your ID and you will be given a code for the storage unit.
The campus regularly has Dr Bike sessions which cater for cyclists. Dr Bike is a fully qualified bike mechanic from The Bike Station, who helps fix minor bicycle problems and provide maintenance advice.
The Dr Bike mechanic will provide:
- a free bike safety inspection.
- fixing of minor problems on the spot (e.g. punctures, brakes, gear problems).
- a bike ‘MOT’ certificate to take to a bike shop for problems which cannot be fixed on the spot.
Dr Bike Sessions are completely free to staff on production of a staff ID.
Bike Security - Police Scotland
Bike registration and marking service will be offered by the police at RIE on 2nd June 0900-1200.
Complete the form below and email to email@example.com with the subject as RIE Bike marking
Further work looking at cycle security at RIE is ongoing - any ideas please put on Trickle
Using a high quality D-lock or chain lock and removing lights is recommended - Sold secure help test locks to specific standards.